Cite Soleil is one of the most dangerous and most impoverished neighborhoods in Haiti, making it one of the riskiest places in the Western Hemisphere.
In an area of little hope, Sakala serves as Cite Soleil’s only youth community center, developing children and young adults through athletics, agronomy, and education, giving them an alternative choice to a life of violence.
After connecting with founder Daniel Tillias and touring the Sakala I was blown away at the impact they’re making in their neighborhood. Their mission of driving positive change through developing courageous children deeply touched me and I knew I had to play a small part in helping move their mission forward.
So LIVE A GREAT STORY is heading back to Sakala to deliver supplies, assist with projects and to capture the amazing inspiration flowing out this community center…
…and we need your help to make it happen
LIVE A GREAT STORY is heading to Port-au-Prince, Haiti for a focused trip on Sakala, a children’s community center in the heart of one of the world’s most dangerous and underprivileged areas. We have two focuses for this trip.
1) take supplies to further the Sakala mission, contribute manpower, investigate future action, discuss overall assistance program for Haiti
2) capture footage about the Sakala story for a media campaign for continued efforts to support their cause.
The really cool part is that each donation makes 3X the impact!
Check it out : when you donate to this trip, your money goes to three areas
1) It goes towards supplies going into Haiti. We’re taking a bunch of things down there to use in sports, gardening and education
2) It goes towards supplies coming back from Haiti. ALL OF THE PERKS are made in Haiti, so each item directly contributes to the Haiti economy because they are produced by Haitians with a living wage. Haiti has terrible unemployment so each item gives jobs, support families and prevent one of the main problems in Haiti : orphans
3) A video that will capture the inspiration of Sakala and the amazing impact it’s making on hundreds of children’s lives despite being located in a major slum. (We’re possibly planning a few screenings back in the States…..)
Donations Provide Gardening, Sports and School Supplies
Outside the Lens (Non-Profit Partner)
We live in a time where there is an ever-increasing digital divide between those with access to tell their stories and those whose stories are left untold. By partnering with Outside the Lens to close this divide, we’ll be working on bringing you a window to another world. We hope to empower SAKALA to share their voice with the world through digital media. We will be exploring initial steps of setting up an OTL curriculum where Sakala children can have access to picture and video equipment and education to use them to share their stories.
10 FACTS ABOUT HAITI
HAITI COMMUNITERE “KONBIT BUS” WATER-FILTRATION VIDEO
Thank you so much for donating! You’re making a huge impact that will have long lasting ripples!
Long before I knew this inner demon had a name, imposter syndrome has robbed me the joy of celebrating my wins and prevented me from pursuing the things dearest to my heart.
I guess the moral of my story is that I am fortunate, I am able, and I can make someone else’s life better. We all have that ability. This is why I love this movement.
We’re looking for just the right person who’s passionate about the power of social media, down to get their hands dirty in a digital start up and who’s interested in making an impact in the world!
Here’s a list of 32 things you can do this week to get out of your comfort zone, create some experience and get your creativity and inspiration flowing
SHARE YOUR STORY
Each of us has a story and we'd love to hear yours! If we think it's a good fit, we'll be in touch about featuring your inspiring story with our community